I found this floating around on the Internet and thought it would be entertaining for word nerds. 🙂
Why Foreigners Have Trouble With English
And you wonder why foreigners have trouble with the English language. (From Pat Brentani of the Boston BBS.)
– The bandage was wound around the wound.
– The farm was used to produce produce.
– The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
– He could lead if he would get the lead out.
– The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
– Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
– A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
– When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
– A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
– The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
– There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
– They were too close to the door to close it.
– The buck does funny things when the does are present.
– To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
– The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
– After a number of injections my jaw got number.
– Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
– I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
– How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?